[Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus Lisp

Mark Carter mcturra2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 11:42:46 EDT 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>Am Freitag, 16. September 2005 15:06 schrieb Mark Carter:
>

>>Plus you can use macros to extend the language.
>>

>I don't know really about LISP macros but aren't they a bit like Template

I wrote a Lisp macro once, and realised that it had a power that I
hadn't seen before (the actual problem I was trying to solve that I
wanted a logger that, given a variable, printed its name and value).
That represented my one dip into Lisp macros, so it's fair to say that
I'm not qualified to talk on either of Lisp or Haskells metaprogramming
facilities. All I know is, if Haskell Templates provide no greater power
than those of C++, be prepared for the Lispers to be, shall we say,
"somewhat condescending" about them. ;)