[Haskell] Re: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell versus Lisp

David F. Place d at vidplace.com
Tue Sep 20 18:38:48 EDT 2005

I don't deny that all of the things you mentioned are wonderful
indeed.  I just wonder if they really could only be done in lisp or
even most conveniently.  Many years ago I read a paper by Phil Wadler
about logic programing using a functional language.  I think it was
called something like "How to replace failure with a list of
successes."  (Great title!)  It blew my mind and made me doubt very
much that the metaprogramming aspect of lisp had anything over clever
functional programming.

Oh -- speaking of control structures -- once you start passing around
continuations you can do anything.  Lisp has no advantage there.

On Sep 20, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Bill Wood wrote:

> All of these made non-trivial extensions to Lisp, and all were of
> arguably great utility.

David F. Place
mailto:d at vidplace.com