[Haskell-cafe] Re: coherence when overlapping?

william kim haskelllist at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 02:43:37 EDT 2006

Thank you oleg.

Sulzmann et al use guards in CHR to turn overlapping heads (instances) into
non-overlapping. Their coherence theorem still assumes non-overlapping.

I agree that what you described is the desirable behaviour when overlapping,
that is to defer the decision when multiple instances match. However, why
this is coined as coherence? What is the definition of coherence in this
case?

class C a where
   f::a -> a
instance C Int where
   f x = x+1
instance C a where
   f x = x

g x = f x

In a program like this, how does a coherence theorem rules out the
"incoherent" behaviour of early committing the f to the second instance?

I am very confused. Please help.

--william