[Haskell-cafe] Can Your Programming Language Do This?

Reilly Hayes rfh at reillyhayes.com
Wed Aug 2 14:50:37 EDT 2006

I don't think this commentary is really fair.  It's also insular and
bad for the reputation of the Haskell community.  There are enough
barriers to exploring FP and Haskell already.  The purpose of the
article was to encourage people to start taking baby steps toward FP,
not to demonstrate a deep mastery of the subject.

Joel's blog is read by a wide range of technology people, most of
whom have a principally OO background.  Javascript was the obvious
choice (it's more widely used than any other language with lambda
nature).  The word Functor is heavily overloaded in computer
science.  His use of the word is clearly a reference to the Functor
Design Pattern and was appropriate for his readership.  Sure, it's a
long distance from the meaning of the word in category theory, but
who really cares?

I actually think that the appropriate paper to cite would be "Lambda:
The Ultimate Imperative" by Guy Steele in 1976.  It doesn't matter
how old the academic literature is.  If the lessons from the
literature are not in widespread use, then it isn't a bad thing to
try to popularize them.

What he did at MS as a developer & development manager arguably made
them a boatload of money.   His own company seems to do quite well.
All of this gives him high quality commercial credentials.  An
article in his blog can do a great deal to help FP (lazy or strict)
be more widely appreciated.

Reilly H.