[wxhaskell-users] FW: Reviving wxHaskell (was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Troublecompiling wxhaskell)

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 04:30:40 EDT 2006

Hi all,

As promised, an interim update on the
wxHaskell situation, along with a request to Haskell-Cafe (someone there
should know...)

Firstly, thanks to all who have volunteered to help. Subject to final
confirmations, I hope that we will have a core of around 5-6 people who are
willing to 'own' specific aspects of wxHaskell. This should enable us to
reduce the workload on each individual to a reasonable level. I would
welcome more contributors, however, and we will need this if we are to start
significantly extending wxHaskell functionality in time.

The initial objective will be to make wxHaskell compile cleanly 'out of the
box' against wxWidgets 2.6.3 on Linux (Debian test platform), Mac OS X and
Windows, for both unicode and non-unicode builds. The first distribution
will be strictly source code, although we will look at binary and/or Cabal
packaging in the future. I would hope to target around the end of August for
this release, subject to everything going smoothly.

Several people have said that they would prefer a darcs repository to CVS
(as currently used at Sourceforge) - and I must admit that this seems to
make sense to me for a Haskell
project as the community really should eat its own dogfood ;-)

Is there a formal mechanism to request hosting at darcs.haskell.org ? If so,
whom do I ask? As a matter of interest, does it make sense to provide this
information somewhere to any interested developers on the wiki - I couldn't
find it anywhere.

I am willing to do the migration of the current CVS repository from
Sourceforge, if a darcs repo becomes available to us.

Regards
Jeremy