[Haskell-cafe] Why Not Haskell?

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Fri Aug 4 12:58:26 EDT 2006

Hans van Thiel wrote:
> I'm wondering why I can't find any commercial Haskell applications on
> the Internet. Is there any reason for this?

Of course.  Corporations are conservative to the point of being
boneheaded.  So to avoid risk, they all went on the internet and said,
"Gee, I can't find any commercial Haskell applications on the Internet.
There must be a reason for that, so I better use something else."

> Are there other reasons why there seem to be just a few thousand
> (hundred?) Haskell programmers in the world, compared to the 3 million
> Java programmers and x million C/C++ programmers?

Yah.  2.995 million programmer-wannabes were too lazy to think for
themselves and choose what everybody uses.

> Probably it doesn't make much sense to try and develop a
> tool in C++ or even Java, but if I have to go on my own on this, maybe
> Haskell could be feasible, both for fun and profit.

It never makes sense to limit yourself to only one programming language,
even if it happens to be Haskell.  There's always the FFI, should it
turn out that some part is better done in C or assembly or Fortran or
whatever comes to mind.

Udo.
--
The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison