[Haskell-cafe] Compiling To C And Why Not Compiling To Java Or C#?

Kaveh Shahbazian kaveh.shahbazian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 03:31:15 EDT 2006

1 & 2 -
Maybe this is not a proper question but I think It has a point. Why
Not Compiling To Java Or C#? What is the need of implementing a class
interoperability between Haskell and other plateforms? Maybe we donot
need that. Haskell can be the big infrastructure and code snippets in
Java or C# can serve in a monadic wrapper. It looks like that we can
scripting Haskell in that languages. For example F# 's target code is
ILX (an extension of MSIL for functional languages). But I think
interoperablity between languages - like what .NET claims - is totaly
pointless.
Again think of an infrastructure that has a Haskell core which defines
and controls very high level processes. Then there will be a running
machine that Haskell is sitting on top of it. This running machine
implement haskell in the plateform language. This is what I mean.
3 -
And for an OOP style interoperability between languages, I think most
usefull is to have a robust standard for Object-Broking. Something
like IEC 61850 in new power systems in industry. A tool from siemens
can understand what a hitachi high voltage key commands and all of
these devices are from different providers with different internal
implementations that meets the standard.