[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why Not Haskell?

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Mon Aug 7 18:39:45 EDT 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:
> Jón Fairbairn wrote:

>>> Maybe you should thank the FSF for making you doubt:
>>
>> I know of several good ideas that started out as attempts at
>> commercial projects but weren't taken up. [...snip]
>
> Thanks Jón and Stefan for these points.
>
> I'm coming round to the idea that possibly a combination of BSD (for
> libs) and a metamorphosing licence for the program (from proprietary
> up to a certain date then GPL thereafter) would solve...

Actually I've reconsidered that model and can't recommend it any more so
please ignore it or treat it with some caution. (Making the end product open
doesn't help (in terms of me making money) if most of the target user base
isn't at all interested in hacking, and the cyclic metamorphic model doesn't
admit the same advantages of collaboration that a purely open source model
would and might just degenerate into a heavily forked mess...)

Apologies for posting before I'd considered these implications - I'm out of
this thread now (everyone will be very pleased to hear!)

Regards, Brian.
strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com