[Haskell-cafe] Why Exotic Languages Are Not Mainstream

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 11:13:26 EDT 2006

Thanks for the pointers, but I think I'm looking for type information
specific to my program. The VisualHaskell feature of which I am
envious is the ability to tell me the type of any identifier in my
program.

Disclaimer: I've never used VisualHaskell and am going only by what I
read on its features page.

> sqrs l = map fn l
>   where fn x = x+2

Presumably, VisualHaskell would let me mouse-over/select the x in x+2
and tell me that it's of type 'Num a => a'; where I could
mouse-over/select srqs and it would tell me that it's of type 'Num a
=> [a] -> [a]' (not necessarily the same a!). Of course this isn't too
helpful with this example, but start imagining method definitions for
>>= or the like on hairier data structures.

I don't know how VisualHaskell handles type-errors, but I think it'd
be neat if it gave me as much info as possible when errors were in the
picture--that's exactly when I need the info the most!

And, of course, I'd like this functionality in a multi-platform editor.

Nick