[Haskell-cafe] iterative algorithms: how to do it in Haskell?

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 17 03:10:43 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 01:23:19AM -0400, ajb at spamcop.net wrote:
> G'day all.
>
> Quoting Chris Kuklewicz <haskell at list.mightyreason.com>:
>
> > The compiler may not deforest that list, so creating the list may be a small
> > overhead of this method.
>
> And in return, you get:
>
>     - Code that is smaller than the imperative version, AND
>     - a reusable function, making the next incarnation of
>       an algorithm like this even shorter.
>
> For most interesting cases, the cost of f and goOn will surely dominate
> anyway.
>
> > Note that "f x" should be "f a" above.
>
> Yes, you're right.  I abstracted out "f" after testing and before
> posting.

Chris, Christian, Andrew, Antti-Juhani and Ivan,

Thanks for your answers, they were very enlightening (though it will
take some time to understand everything).  Haskell looks even more
elegant than Scheme...

Best,

Tamas