[Haskell-cafe] Haskell wiki: most popular pages

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:13:08 EDT 2006

Hello Tamas,

> The link from http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Learning (to
> http://www.cs.uu.nl/~afie/haskell/tourofprelude.html) is dead, so is
> the one from Books_and_Tutorials.

thank you. i have fixed both. btw, you can register himself on the
wiki at http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/?title=Special:Userlogin and
get rights to edit it yourself

> 1. I would move it from the Reference to the Introduction section.  A
>    reference is something you look at when you know what you are
>    looking for.  Also, it is at the bottom of the page, few would
>    scroll that far.

> 2. How would newbies know what the Prelude is?  Some tutorials mention
>    it, but it is not emphasized that most functions they use come from
>    the Prelude.  Since they do not know that they need the Prelude,
>    they are not interested in a tour of it.

i agree with both points. it's a really helpful thing, with all its
coloring, examples and even definitions. and it's of interest for very
beginning Haskellers, may be even those who don't know anything about
Haskell. it's just a pleasure to see all those one-line definitions
and feel how power the language should be to allow such cool things.
The only problem that makes it harder to learn is what functions are
sorted in alphabetic order instead of be grouped by theme (math, lists,
chars and strings, ordering, i/o, higher-order funcs and their applications)

so we can move this to the Tutorials column, make better description
(how about "Tour of Haskell Prelude (basic functions)"?) and i will
try to reorganize it by splitting into the thematic sections

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com