[Haskell-cafe] Description of Haskell extensions used by FPTOOLS

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 18 04:11:20 EDT 2006

Brian

Great!

You might like to consider using GHC as a library

                http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/As_a_library

The advantage is that you just “import GHC” and then you can parse all of Haskell (including GHC’s extensions).  Then you can rename it to resolve lexical scopes, typecheck, and so on.  It will certainly deal with all of Darcs… because GHC compiles Darcs.

It’s all supposed to be a good basis for tools that consume and analyse Haskell programs, which is exactly what you propose to do.  Example, there’s a summer-of-code project to use it for Haddock.

That said, the API is really just what we needed to build GHC itself.  It needs a serious design effort.  One of the things that would motivate such an effort would be “customers” saying “I needed to do X with the API and it was inconvenient/impossible”.  Still, it does work, today.

Simon