[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: Re: data structures question

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Thu Aug 31 16:48:39 EDT 2006

Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
> Benjamin Franksen wrote:
>> Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
>>> I did not even run the code I wrote through ghci, I was just showing
>>> what it could look like.
>>>
>>> And stop calling me Shirley.
[...]
>> Could you please be a bit more explicit? Have I offended anyone? Or else,
>> how do I have to understand this comment other than as a rebuke? And how
>> comes you answer this as if you were the one who posted the code, and not
>> a person named Matthias Fischmann?
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding.  No one has been offended or given
> offense.
> The Surely/Shirley is a reference to the classic 1980 motion picture
> "Airplane!" in which the humor includes a repeated motif [1]:
>
>> Rumack: Mr. Striker, the passengers are getting worse. You must land
>> soon. Ted Striker: Surely there must be something you can do.
>> Rumack: I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley.
>
>> Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
>> Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.
>
> Nothing was offensive or arrogant.I just saw it as an opportunity to
> reference the joke.

Ahh, I'm very glad to hear that. It seems the misunderstanding was
completely on my part. Did a little research and found quite a number for
websites citing dialogs from this movie. I begin to understand that it must
have been cult...

> I am sorry my other posting was off topic.  Sometimes I contribute what
> occurs to me instead of what is relevant.

I can happily live with that ;-) (although I'd still be interested what
prompted you to post this code which I admittedly did not fully
understand).

And sorry for dragging this (completely off-topic) stuff out here on the
list. I'll shut up now.

Cheers,
Ben