[Haskell-cafe] Translating Haskell to VHDL. What approach to follow?

Alfonso Acosta alfonso.acosta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:03:39 EST 2006

After considering the different options (specially Yhc.Core) I decided
to go for Embedded Compiling [1] + Observable Sharing[2]  to translate
from ForSyDe[3] to VHDL[4] instead of making a whole Haskell-Compiler
backend.

Creating a backend would fit a more ambitious goal: translating any
haskell source file to VHDL, and of course would be more difficult to
approach.

The drawback of the Embedded Compiler approach is that ForSyDe will
need to be adapted. But instead the translation would be quite easy to
make and what is more important, a lot more maintainable due to being
independent of external tools and embedded in the library itself.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Specially to Neil who is
fortunately always open to help.