[Haskell-cafe] Re[2]: strict Haskell dialect

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Sat Feb 11 08:34:37 EST 2006

Hello Wolfgang,

Saturday, February 11, 2006, 3:17:12 PM, you wrote:

>> each and every monadic operation is a function!

WJ> What do you mean with "monadic operatation"?  (>>=), (>>) and return are, of
WJ> course, functions but an I/O action like getChar is *not* a function.  Also a
WJ> list is not a function but a value of the list monad.

>> type "IO a" is really "RealWorld -> (RealWorld,a)"

WJ> This representation is just there to help people understand what I/O is but
WJ> actually, IO a is a type which is not implementable in ordinary Haskell and
WJ> therefore cannot be a function.  In addition, RealWorld -> (RealWorld,a) as
WJ> an explanation of what IO a is has its limitations.  If we run an I/O action,
WJ> we aren't just interested in the final state but also in intermediate states.

{putStr "a"} is a function, which receives previous world state and
returns updated world state where "a" is written to the terminal. it's
an _essential_ part of monadic way to I/O

in the list comprehension, filters also use value of current list
element. if filter don't use this element value, it can be computed
prior to comprehesion to speed the things up

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com