[Haskell-cafe] GADTs and bar :: Foo t1 -> Foo t2

Daniel McAllansmith dagda at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 19 16:06:25 EST 2006

My thanks for the responses received off-list.

Dimitrios pointed out that a 'successor' class solution would require the
typechecking to depend somehow on whether the lists were empty or not.
Probably a clue that I was on the wrong track.

Both Cale and Dimitrios suggested better solutions involving different data
types:

data FooA = A
data FooB = B [FooA]
data FooC = C [FooB]
data Foo = FA FooA | FB FooB | FC FooC

or

data Node a = N [a] deriving Show
data Tree a = Zero a | Succ (Tree (Node a)) deriving Show

or

data EXFoo where
  EXFoo :: Foo a -> EXFoo

Embarrassingly simple! :)