[Haskell-cafe] Help with "shootout"

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Jan 3 06:46:25 EST 2006

[ Deeply nested replies are starting to look similar to runListT $
runStateT $ runWriter .... ]

matth at mindspring.com wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:07:43AM +0000, Joel Reymont wrote:
>
>>On Jan 2, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
>>

>>> This makes me ponder one of the things that Joel was trying to do:
>>>efficiently pass data to a logging thread.  It may be that a custom
>>>channel would be helpful for that as well.
>>
>>I have not taken the time to analyze the Chameneos code but need to
>>point out that my problem was not with efficiently passing data to
>>the logging thread. The issue was with data accumulating in the
>>channel and the logger thread not reading it out fast enough.
>>
>>The TChan implementation is a single-linked list implemented on top
>>of TVar's. That would seem pretty efficient to me.
>

> It's simple and efficient but does nothing to prevent the channel from
> growing out of control.  A slightly modified (custom) channel based on
> TChan, but enforcing a maximum size (blocking on insert if the channel
> is too full), probably would have solved the problem.
>
> I assume that Erlang either does that or increases the priority of
> threads with large event queues, or both.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Harden

Given that actually controlling priorities is not an option, adding
blocking like that makes sense.  One can make a ring buffer instead of a
singly linked list very easily.  In fact, I have that code lying around
(now attached).  It has not been speed optimized, but I did like being
able to express:

> type Node a = [TMVar a]
>
> make :: (Integral k) => k -> STM (Node a)
> make k = liftM cycle $ sequence $ genericReplicate k newEmptyTMVar

It has the usual operations, but you need to pass a fixed size to
new/newEmpty and you also have an isFull test.  It has no operations to
resize the ring buffer created by "make".