[Haskell-cafe] Re: Joels Time Leak

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 5 07:40:27 EST 2006

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

>>>Simon, the talk is about changing GHC _tick_, which is a _minimal_
>>>possible context switch interval
>

> SM> Yes, I know.
>
> in this case, why you say that idle processes will be ticking in
> background? it's entirely up to program writers/users if they wants to
> decrease this interval. by default switches will occur in the same 20
> ms, lesser tick will have no impact on ordinary programs as long as
> default switching time will be not changed

It will have an impact, because the tick signal has to be delivered to
the process and the signal handler run.  The impact on CPU time is
small, but could be noticeable if we were to choose too small an
interval.  Furthermore, the ticker prevents idle Haskell processes from
being completely swapped out (that problem already exists).

Cheers,
	Simon