[Haskell-cafe] In for a penny, in for a pound.

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Mon Jan 9 04:42:56 EST 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> Entries that may currently be worth submitting:
>    takfp                     - http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/TakfpEntry
>    pidigits (currently 2nd!) - http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/PidigitsEntry
>    mandelbrot                - http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/MandelbrotEntry
>    harmonic                  - http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/HarmonicEntry
>    fannkuch (pure and impure) - http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/FannkuchEntry
>
> Chris, would you like to submit these?

Well, I can't promise to;  I have less time this week.

I have two strong suggestions:
* whoever does submit them should "diff" the output with a previously
accepted version.
* ensure that the file comments and submission description explain
the exact command line to compile and the exact command line to run.

And two weak suggestion:
* For speed comparisons, use an x86 architecture, ghc-6.4.1.  (I made
sum-file faster for G4 but not faster in general).
* The -funbox-strict-fields can make a difference without needing
explicitly unboxed Int# everywhere.

And one observation:  The wiki has been linking to the debian version
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/debian/
but there is also nearly the same set of programs on a gentoo version
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/
So statements about ranking are often only good for one version.

Cheers,

   Chris