[Haskell-cafe] rank-2 :(

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Tue Jan 10 12:47:32 EST 2006

Hello ,

those rank-2 types wil make me mad :)

encodeHelper :: (MRef m r, Binary m a, BitStream m (StringBuffer m r))
             => a -> m String
encodeHelper x = do h <- newStringBuffer "" stringBufferDefaultCloseFunc
                    put_ h x
                    getStringBuffer h
encode x = runST (encodeHelper x)

i can't force `encode` to compile, either with or without any type
signatures. actually, signature for `encodeHelper` was developed by
Hugs, but now i don't know how to proceed further

just now tried to force Hugs tell me its type. mission impossible :)

DataAltBinaryClass> :t (runST (encodeHelper 1))
ERROR - Cannot justify constraints in application
*** Expression    : encodeHelper 1
*** Type          : ST c [Char]
*** Given context : ()
*** Constraints   : (Num b, Binary (ST c) b)

Binary class in my library includes monad in its header. May be it's
the cause of problems?

class Binary m a where
    -- | Convert value to sequence of bits and write it to the stream
    put_   :: (BitStream m h) => h -> a -> m ()

but it's needed because MArray types, for example, can be serialized
only in the appropriate monad:

instance Binary IO (IOArray a) where ...

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                          mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com