[Haskell-cafe] Re: Shootout favouring C

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:04:26 EST 2006

On 1/16/06, Aaron Denney <wnoise at ofb.net> wrote:
> >> they chose

> >> Pardon my rudeness but this really is getting a bit
> >> much!
> >>
> >> Please keep to the true spirit of fictional crime
> >> writing and provide a motive for these evil characters
> >> who will stop at nothing to make Haskell seem some
> >> worse than C.
> >>

> > I think you're being a bit paranoid here, nobody's claiming that
> > there's some hidden agenda, just that there are improvements that
> > could be made to increase accuracy and fairness.
>
> Well, when you start bringing up whether it is intentional, his reaction
> seems quite reasonable.

The original message was titled "Shootout favouring C", which at least
to me sounds like the OP was implying that it was intentional. Be that
as it may, I was actually trying to claim that it wasn't intentional,
but since I'm not involved with the shootout (and wouldn't know for a
fact if it's intentional or not) I had to lessen my claim and say that
it "hopefully" wasn't intentional.

I don't think his reaction is reasonable. Especially not if he indeed
is claiming that the cases where C is favoured are unintentional. The
fact that he seems to take suggestions for improvements as a personal
insult hardly helps his case (that the benchmarks aren't intentionally
geared to favour C).

Daniel's benchmarks are interesting, and instead of a paranoid and
rude response from the people responsible, I would rather have liked
to see if the results are the same on the systems used in the
shootout.

/S
--
Sebastian Sylvan