[Haskell-cafe] Shootout favouring C

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Tue Jan 17 05:28:15 EST 2006

First of all, we recently had a thread 'Shootout favouring imperative code',
and I named this one after that. I certainly did not intend to insinuate
(otherwise than mockingly) that the benchmarks were intentionally chosen so
as to make one particular language look good/bad.
I apologize for all personal displeasure that followed.

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2006 03:13 schrieb Isaac Gouy:
> --- Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> > > motive
> >
> > Jealousy?
>
> I've never used C or C++ so I probably don't mix with
> enough of those guys to say, but the impression I got
> was of, shall we say, 'assertive confidence'.

Well, you asked for a _fictional_ motive, and jealousy is an excellent one.
However as Brent already mentioned good old money...

> -snip-
>
> > and I dare say Java does suffer from that even more than GHC
> -snip-
>
> > > then we are being unfair to Haskell by 0.002s on every
> > > test - we only show  measurements to 0.01s!
> >
> > And you take the average of how many runs?
>
> See the FAQ "How did you measure
?"
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/faq.php#measure

Oh, sorry, but due to my slow and unstable connection to the net,
I tend to look at fewer pages than I should (usually, after the third timed
out request, I call it a day).

> -snip-
>
> > So I don't consider timings of such short tasks very
> > reliable
>
> So look at the tasks where the fastest program takes
> seconds and needs more than 5 lines of code :-)
>

> -snip-
>
> > And though I've no reason to suppose it would help
> > Haskell, for the same reasons, I'd like the fannkuch
> > benchmark changed to Pfannkuchen(10).
>
> That's been shown for Gentoo/Intel since at least
> December
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/fulldata.php?test=fannkuch&p1=gcc-0&p
>2=ghc-2&p3=gcc-0&p4=ghc-2
>

> -snip-
>
> > Unfortunately, often the desire for speed wrecks elegance
>
> Contribute elegant slower programs and maybe we'll
> show them - we're currently showing two C++ sum-file
> programs, one's ~25x faster than the other.

Hm, I might.

Cheers,
Daniel