[Haskell-cafe] Re: EclipseFP (Haskell IDE) 0.10.0 released

Thiago Arrais thiago.arrais at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 22:34:00 EDT 2006

Bulat,

Thank you for the detailed responses. I apologize for not answering
before, I was waiting for a quieter time to be able to answer
properly.

On 7/3/06, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> now i'm using editor with just syntax highlighting and therefore i
> wrote about things those lacking are most important for me. first is
> the compilation.

I agree with you, background compilation is the most important feature
for me too. Therefore, I will try to work on this for the next
release. I am looking for a Cabal-integrated build system and planning
to delegate all the work (like dependency fetching and selective
compilation) to the chosen build system instead of implementing it as
part of EclipseFP.

I think I will experiment with this approach. EclipseFP distributes
live builds for every modification to the source code. Can I contact
you when those builds start to be available? Would you mind trying
them?

> after i've compiled program i don't like to find
> files, go to specified line just because i'm not Ceasar and can't
> think about files/lines and program bugs simultaneously.

Not to mention that with an background compilation running frequently
(at least more frequently that it would run if it was called
manually), people tend to have fewer compilation errors to fix at a
time. This should happen a lot on productivity (at least it helps me).

> why the error highlighting is a problem? GHC even supports
> -ferror-spans option in which emacs-style error message is printed
> (i.e. it includes the exact range of lines/chars what contain error)

I will take a look at that. I don't actually know where our
error-reporting problems come from because EclipseFP is a pretty old
code base and I wasn't around when this was coded. But I do know that
the current error highlighting isn't the best thing one would want. It
certainly helps a lot, but it still isn't as precise as one would
like.

The background compilation and error highlighting issues are already
enough work (and my message is getting quite long already). This
doesn't mean the other issues are not valid, but we need to keep a
focus here if we want to get anything done. So, I am snipping the rest
of the message for the time being (and hoping those issues can be
dealt with soon).

Cheers,

Thiago Arrais
--
Mergulhando no Caos - http://thiagoarrais.blogspot.com
Pensamentos, idéias e devaneios sobre desenvolvimento de software e