[Haskell-cafe] EclipseFP (Haskell IDE) 0.10.0 released

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 17:00:11 EDT 2006

Hi

> The York Haskell Compiler (yhc) compiles to bytecode, and my memory
> suggests that there was an implementation of the required runtime
> system written in Java. My mail archive confirms this: Neil Mitchell
> wrote about it on haskell-cafe on March 28 under the topic of
> 'Haskell's Market'.
It does indeed, but it would probably be faster to write a trivial
C/Java wrapper round the C version of the runtime - still reasonably
simple with Yhc. Yhc also compiles directly to .NET bytecodes, if the
same was done with Java bytecodes it might be even easier than
integrating an interpretter. Any way, there should be many ways to get
Haskell, Yhc and Java all playing nicely.

> My feeling is that such an approach might be a smoother (and more
> portable) integration than JNI. Of course, you'd need to be able
> compile GHC with YHC, which I cannot guess the feasability of.
My guess is that would be very hard, I can only assume the GHC source
code is far from Haskell 98. Maybe once Haskell' is done and Yhc
supports that then you'll have more of a chance. It would probably be
very good if Yhc could compile GHC then porting GHC would become
trivial.

There is of course the option to integrate with the (still not
started) Yhc API which will certainly compile with Yhc, rather than
relying on GHC.

Thanks

Neil