[Haskell-cafe] Why does Haskell have the if-then-else syntax?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 27 05:52:40 EDT 2006

GHC does indeed include the notion of "rebindable syntax".  It would be
straightforward to extend it to include if-then-else.  In effect, that
would mean that
	if e1 then e2 else e3
would behave exactly like
	cond e1 e2 e3
including from the point of view of typing.  (You could choose a
different name than 'cond'.)  Then by importing a 'cond' with (say) type

	cond :: MyBool -> b -> b
you could use a different kind of Boolean.  You could even overload the
bool:
	cond :: Boolean a => a -> b -> b

This could be done with a few hours work.  But not a few minutes. Want
to put a feature request in Trac?

Simon