[Haskell-cafe] What is the state if Unicode in Haskell implementations?

Olof Bjarnason olof.bjarnason at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 07:56:45 EDT 2006

Hi there!

I'm trying to user Haskell as a code-generating language, specifically
generating C# code files. The wish list is

1) reading UTF-8 coded text files into unicode-enabled Strings, lets call
them UString
2) writing UStrings to UTF-8 coded text files
3) using unicode strings in-code, that is in my .hs files

I can live without 3), and with a little good will also 2), but 1) is harder
since I cannot really hope my input files (meta-data-files) are coded in
anything else than UTF-8.

I've searched&browser the web for information on the current state of
unicode in GHC/Hugs but the latest discussion I could find on the topic
leaves me less than happy. BUT it is from january 2005 so I thought maybe
you guys have more up-to-date answers to these questions.

The discussion I found:

http://groups.google.se/group/fa.haskell/browse_thread/thread/ccf1c6f32dbea873/a5ede2bc64ae8be4?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#a5ede2bc64ae8be4

Thanks!

/Olof