[Haskell-cafe] Features of Haskell

Niels Van Och niels.vanoch at student.uhasselt.be
Sun Jun 4 05:21:23 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm a Master student in Computer Science, and for my bachelor thesis,
I've written 'an introduction to Haskell'. In this document, I've
discussed syntax, evaluation, polymorphism, monads etc.

Now, in a week I have to present this work formally, and I'm a bit
stumped as to how I'm going to do this. I've got about 15-20 minutes,
so I can only discuss the major features. Right now I'm thinking about:

- Short introduction to functional programming, and Haskell in it
- Basic syntax in a few minutes
- Features like polymorphism, overloading, higher-order functions,
comprehensions, ..
- Lazy evaluation
- Monads: why and how?

However, I'd love to know what you think. Furthermore, do you think I
should include an example on the usage of Haskell, and if so, which?

Many thanks!
Niels