[Haskell-cafe] Everything but the lazyness - idea for force/delay lists

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Jun 15 16:13:27 EDT 2006

minh thu wrote:
> hi
> in fact, i think that for a while ...
> moreover, i thought to translate to some kind of readable c (because
> there s so much c libs all around).
> i think it's even possible to retain laziness where it's ok ( for data
> structure essentially).

Hi Thu -

Someone pointed out (offlist) a useful paper by Phil Wadler "How to add
laziness to a strict language without even being odd" which shows how
laziness can be used without needing a lifted type system.

Once you've understood the subtleties of the FFI, it's relatively easy to
use it link to C libs.

> is-it possible to know what you're doing at metamilk ?

Well I'd tell you if I knew myself! :-)

Seriously though, at the moment my aim is to develop an integrated
programming environment for a language similar to Haskell, either Haskell
itself or a non-lazy version of it, also with some syntactic modifications
to make it easier to use. It's in very early stages though. I'm trying as
much as possible to write everything from scratch (including the GUI) in
Haskell so I can see what the advantages/disadvantages of Haskell are and
where improvements in the syntax would be useful.

My experience so far is that the typeclasses and existentials that Haskell
supports are an advantage over OCaml or SML, but that the lazyness is a real
nusiance but with some extra effort it's possible to mostly get rid of it.

Regards, Brian.

> mt
>
> 2006/6/13, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com>:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I've been thinking about how to get an extremely fast language with
>> all the benefits of Haskell ie completely pure with no side effects,
>> but with monads, higher order functions, type classes etc, but
>> without the lazyness.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com