[Haskell-cafe] Computing lazy and strict list operations at the same time

C Rodrigues red5_2 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:24:44 EDT 2006

Here's a puzzle I haven't been able to solve.  Is it possible to write the
initlast function?

There are functions "init" and "last" that take constant stack space and
traverse the list at most once.  You can think of traversing the list as
deconstructing all the (:) [] constructors in list.

init (x:xs) = init' x xs
  where init' x (y:ys) = x:init' y ys
        init' _ [] = []

last (x:xs) = last' x xs
  where last' _ (y:ys) = last' y ys
        last' x [] = x

Now, is there a way to write initlast :: [a] -> ([a], a) that returns the
result of init and the result of last, takes constant stack space, and
traverses the list only once?  Calling reverse traverses the list again.  I
couldn't think of a way to do it, but I couldn't figure out why it would be
impossible.