[Haskell-cafe] Re: Functional programming for processing of largeraster images

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 21 16:32:46 EDT 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Brian Hulley wrote:

> Joel Reymont wrote:
>> I think the issue wasn't using functional programming for large image
>> processing, it was using Haskell. OCaml is notoriously fast and
>> strict. Haskell/GHC is... lazy.
>>
>> Everyone knows that laziness is supposed to be a virtue. In practice,
>> though, I'm one of the people who either can't wrap their heads
>> around it or just find themselves having to fight it from the start.
>
> Perhaps laziness is more "foundational", in that you can write
>
>      if2 c x y = if c then x else y

[snip some conversation...]

For those who haven't seen this already, here is a presentation by
Simon PJ in which he discusses his views on laziness (among other
things).

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/haskell-retrospective/
HaskellRetrospective.pdf

Takeaway point about laziness: "Laziness keeps you honest" by not
allowing you to slip in side effects.

Bonus takeaway: read Wadler's papers :-)

Rob Dockins

Speak softly and drive a Sherman tank.
           -- TMBG