[Haskell-cafe] Re: First Question

Pete Chown 1 at 234.cx
Mon Mar 20 08:42:32 EST 2006

Neil Rutland wrote:

> stops :: int->int->int
>
> I think that says that the function stops takes two integers and returns
> an integer.

This is correct (though as someone else pointed out, Haskell types start
with a capital letter).

> What i'm not entirely sure of is how i'd then write the function itself
> because i literally want it to have the following form
>
> stops (x,y) = x+y

As "stops" just adds numbers, it is equivalent to the + operator, so you
don't have to write a function at all.  It doesn't do any harm to write
a function, but the simplest way of expressing "stops" is this:

stops :: Int -> Int -> Int
stops = (+)

One of the benefits of a functional language is that you can assign
functions as well as data!

Pete