[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell's market

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 04:03:02 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:09:40PM +0200, Arnaud Bailly wrote:
> I am dreaming awake that Haskell's versatility, safety and
> expresiveness could allow me to quickly build tools that could
> generate system components instead of coding them. I am thinking about
> an approach based on a sort of DSL design with Haskell then
> code/bytecode generation to Java/whatever platform. Does anybody have
> experiences with that, particularly for GUI parts ?

This is my dream too :-)

My area is data processing. Most of my programs can afford quite a long
initialisation phase, but then are required to process huge amounts of
data. I am thinking about using that initialisation phase to generate
C/C++ code from Haskell and compile it. This would allow me to move
most of the more complicated logic to Haskell. I just hate writing
parsers and the like in C++.

Perhaps there is a chance for cooperation?

BTW, I think it would be nice if we could use Template Haskell
quoting facilities for generating code in languages other than
Haskell.

Best regards
Tomasz