[Haskell-cafe] Haskell + Windows API = wuh?

Juan Carlos Arevalo Baeza jcab.lists at JCABs-Rumblings.com
Fri May 12 03:52:23 EDT 2006

   It has two problems:

1- It is "a very straightforward wrapper". It's not very
Haskell-friendly. Which might be a good thing or not, I'm not yet sure.
It could use some more type-safety.
2- It won't allow you to do work on a thread separate from your
message-loop thread, as any self-respecting Windows program should
always do. I hope GHC might support that in the future (supporting bound
threads), but I'm not sure what/if there are any plans about it.

   "ihope", you might want to try the bindings I used when the Win32
library was broken in 6.4.0:

http://www.JCABs-Rumblings.com/files/Win32Haskell.zip (650K)

   It's not perfect, and it's by no means complete, but I think it's a
bit better organized and readable than the standard Win32 library you
get with GHC, and it's much more type-safe, and it's pure Haskell with
FFI (no C or greencard or anything) so it might give you a better clue
about how FFI works. It is very simple, actually. Look for all the
Foreign.hs files, and see how the functions defined there are used
elsewhere.

   You won't find any documentation in there, of course.

   Compile the two silly programs with GHC 6.4.2 like this:

ghc -optl-mwindows -fglasgow-exts -fallow-undecidable-instances
-fallow-overlapping-instances -lKernel32 -lUser32 -lGdi32 -lOle32
-lComctl32 -optc-D_WIN32_IE=0x700 -optc-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x600 --make -o
Win32Test.exe Win32Test.hs

ghc -optl-mwindows -fglasgow-exts -fallow-undecidable-instances
-fallow-overlapping-instances -lKernel32 -lUser32 -lGdi32 -lOle32
-lComctl32 -optc-D_WIN32_IE=0x700 -optc-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x600 --make -o
DictDisp1.exe DictDisp1.hs

   Remove the "-optl-mwindows" if you want the compiler to run on a
console, so you can see the stdout spew.

   Any comments are very welcome, but make sure you copy me directly or
I might not catch them :). And let me know if this helps.

JCAB