[Haskell-cafe] Haskell RPC

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Thu May 25 14:25:31 EDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an example from my test harness:
>
> (define-test remote-basic
>    (def-remote-class remote (server) ())
>    (def-remote-method sum :sync ((self remote) (a fixnum) (b integer))
>                       (declare (ignorable ip port))
>                       (+ a b seqnum))
>    (let* ((port (+ 1000 (random 50000)))
>           (server (make-instance 'remote
>                                  :port port))
>           (client (make-instance 'remote-proxy
>                                  :host (host-address)
>                                  :port port)))
>      (assert-equal '(6) (sum client 1 2 :seqnum 3))
>      (stop server)
>      (stop client)
>      ))

I won't comment on the difference between haskell and lisp (both
languages I respect), but I will say that you should add a macro or
high order function (depneding on lisp vs. haskell) that is something
like "(with-client (c args-list)  body)", that way you can simplify
the creation/cleanup of clients. Same idea as with-open-file.  You can
do the same with server.

As for your actual question, there is a deriving(Read), but I don't
remember what extensions are needed.

Jason