[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] (.) . (.)

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 29 12:33:41 EDT 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:

> Hi Dominic -
> I hope it's ok for me to ask this question and I'm absolutely burning
> with curiosity to find out the answer...
>
> How did you know to write ((.).(.)) instead of (\f g a b -> f (g a b)) ?

Brian,

I can't remember. I certainly don't find it intuitive. I think it was
discussed on the Haskell mailing list a long time ago. Also I had a
conversation with someone who pointed out that it's well known in
combinatory logic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatory_logic has a
translation scheme from the lambda calculus to combinators. I presume
that's how @pointless plugin in lambdabot works.

Dominic.