[Haskell-cafe] Editors for Haskell

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at cs.uu.nl
Tue May 30 17:59:37 EDT 2006

On 2006 mei 30, at 17:33, Brian Hulley wrote:

> But the buffer will nearly always be incomplete as you're editing it.
>
> I was kind of hoping that the syntax of Haskell could be changed so
> that for
> any sequence of characters there would be a unique parse that had a
> minimum
> number of "gaps" inserted by the editor to create a complete parse
> tree, and
> moreover that this parse could be found by deterministic LL1 recursive
> descent.

If you use my parsercombinators, and are willing to work on the
grammar I think this can in principle be done. The combinators
automatically "correct" incorrect (i.e. in this case incomplete)
input, but:
  - you may really need some time to tune the grammar so the
corrections are what a user might expect (there are many hooks for
doing so, but it will takje some effort, since this s also a human
interface issue)
  - making a Haskell grammar that parsers top-down is not an easy
task, and making it LL1 is definitely impossible, but also not needed
if you use my combinators
  - we could in principle provide you with a complete parser for
Haskell using our combinators that was tested by replacing the GHC
parser with this parser, and that worked (contact athurb at cs.uu.nl to
get a copy of his code)
  - did you think about how to handle the offside rule? If not, the
good news is that we have combinators for that too.

  Doaitse Swierstra

> Haskell already seems so very close to having this property - its a
> real
> pity about =>

Not only the =>, but e.g. the commonality between patterns and
expressions makes left factorisation a not so simple task.