[Haskell-cafe] Editors for Haskell

George Beshers gbeshers at cox.net
Tue May 30 19:32:42 EDT 2006

Well, my thesis (many moons ago I assure you) was on syntax
directed editors.  I came to the conclusion that letting the user
do what they want is a requirement, but that "heuristics" and
other "smarts" were to be avoided on the grounds that at least
for my implementation they were more trouble than they were
worth.  Thus I would avoid error correcting parsers unless you
are very confident that the correction used is at least type-safe
and that it is not "sticking things in" that are unwanted
(or even more maddening removing what I just typed and
which **was** what I wanted).

So my recommendation is that pointing out where the syntax
and typing errors are without having to leave the editor
would be great.  Then the time required to actually make the
corrections is minimal in terms of overall development time.

The "interesting" (graveyard laugh) problems revolve around
editing a library and the program that uses it at the same time
with a few obvious extensions.  The "graveyard laugh" is because
I rapidly found I needed transactions and as the implementation
was in C++ it had some very nasty pointer issues going to and
from disk.  Performance was also an issue --- but that was a
a pre-sparc  SUN, M68020 w/ 4Meg of RAM if memory serves
me correctly.

Good Luck.