[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Visual Haskell prerelease 0.2

Pepe Iborra mnislaih at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 06:35:09 EST 2006

On 28/11/2006, at 12:25, Krasimir Angelov wrote:

> On 11/28/06, Johannes Waldmann <waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:
>> seriously, how hard would it be to adapt VH to Eclipse?
>> the interfaces (for syntax highlighting, typechecking etc.)
>> should be similar - in theory.

Parsing and typechecking in VH is all done by GHC via the ghc-api.
Thus strong interoperability support is needed.

> Ah, and about Eclipse. Visual Studio and Eclipse are very different
> platforms and you have to rewrite VSHaskell almost from scratch if you
> want an Eclipse port. Perhaps the only common parts will be Cabal &
> GHC.

Not only the interfaces are completely different, but an entirely new
set of interoperability problems would need to be solved. The guys
from EclipseFP have a document[1] about that topic.

That said I would love being able to run an eclipsified VH in my Mac :)

[1] - http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/haskell/
ExtendingEclipseInHaskell.pdf

Cheers
pepe