[Haskell-cafe] question - which monad to use?

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Mon Oct 2 11:35:40 EDT 2006

Matthias,

Sorry if I was not clear in stating the problem.  Your solution works
nicely, but I would like to try writing a monad.  This is what I came
up with:

type Failure = String
data Computation a = Computation (Either Failure a) [a]

instance Monad Computation where
    (Computation (Left e) h) >>= f = Computation (Left e) h -- do not proceed
    (Computation (Right a) h) >>= f = let r = f a -- result
                                          h' = case r of
                                                 Left e -> h
                                                 Right a' -> a':h
                                      in
                                        Computation r h'
    return (s,c) = Computation (Right (s,c)) [(s,c)]

Basically, I want the >>= operator to call f on the last result, if it
is not a failure, and append the new result to the list (if it didn't
fail).

However, I am getting the following error message:

/home/tpapp/doc/research/pricespread/Main.hs:62:58:
    Couldn't match the rigid variable `b' against the rigid variable `a'
      `b' is bound by the type signature for `>>='
      `a' is bound by the type signature for `>>='
      Expected type: [b]
      Inferred type: [a]
    In the second argument of `Computation', namely `h'
    In the definition of `>>=':
	>>= (Computation (Left e) h) f = Computation (Left e) h

I don't know what the problem is.

Thanks,

Tamas