[Haskell-cafe] beginner's problem about lists

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 11:03:01 EDT 2006

I suppose using indicative types (dependent style) is out of the
question? I presume i) that would over-simplify the problem and ii)
we're tied to the [-] type.

It deserves mention no less.

> data Fin
> data Inf

> data List l a = Cons a (List l a) | Nil

> shorter :: List Inf a -> List Inf a -> List Inf a
> shorter :: List Fin a -> List Inf a -> List Fin a
> shorter :: List Inf a -> List Fin a -> List Fin a
> shorter :: List Fin a -> List Fin a -> List Fin a

where the result of the last typecase is the shorter one. shorter
would probably be defined in a type-class.

The normal un-typechecked code disclaimer applies.

Nick