[Haskell-cafe] Re: [off-topic / administrative] List Reply-to

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Tue Oct 10 19:57:24 EDT 2006

Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2006-10-10, Misha Aizatulin <avatar at hot.ee> wrote:
>> Matthias Fischmann wrote:
>>> Some lists have the Reply-To: set to the list address.  I think you
>>> can even configure the From: to be haskell-cafe instead of the poster,
>>> making the poster merely identifiable by the Sender: field.
>>>
>>> Do you have strong opinions on this subject?
>>
>>   Here is an argument against Reply-To munging. I'd say I agree with it:
>>
>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> Agreed.  There is a semi-standard header "List-Reply-To:" that some MUAs
> will use...

...and furthermore, if you insist on making the reply action in your mail
client do a reply-to-list by default, then you can munge the headers
yourself. (I've been doing this myself for a ong time -- until I started
using gmane, that is) Most modern mail systems have wonderful filtering and
header munging capabilities. All Haskell related mailing lists supply a
List-Id header for easy filtering.

Cheers,
Ben