[Haskell-cafe] [off-topic / administrative] List Reply-to

Mikael Johansson mikael at johanssons.org
Wed Oct 11 12:48:23 EDT 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> Mikael Johansson wrote:
>> * It removes important information, which can make it impossible to
>> get back to the message sender.
>
> This is the most important bit, actually.  Anyone who wants to post a
> single question to haskell or haskell-cafe has to be subscribed, or the
> reply may go to the list, no matter what he put into the reply-to
> header.  Is it a good thing to shut out casual users?

Point. However, is there any sort of indication whether a poster is
actually subscribed to the list? I would use reply-to-list as a default
unless explicitly stated in an email that list-replies will go unread; and
I tend to try to monitor lists after posing question on them at least long
enough to detect any reasonably quick answers to my questions.

>> I view pine as something that should be classified as
>> reasonable
>
> Pein (sic!) is not reasonable.  If you love it so much, please whip out
> the source code, implement a "reply-to-list" function and get at least
> one mailer removed from a silly debate.

This point has been made abundantly lately.

>> I disagree.
>> I don't agree.
>> I don't agree.
>> I don't agree.
>> I don't agree.
>
> Very convincing.  Keep up the good work.

Quite a few of the arguments made on the originally refered webpage were
of a highly emotional kind. Arguing such points boils down to whether the
emotions expressed are shared or not.

--
Mikael Johansson                 | To see the world in a grain of sand
mikael at johanssons.org            |  And heaven in a wild flower