[Haskell-cafe] Automatic fixity allocation for symbolic operators

Jim Apple jbapple+haskell-cafe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 16:54:48 EDT 2006

On 10/14/06, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
> User defined fixities are an enormous problem for
> an interactive editor

This is the second or third time you've proposed a language change
based on the editor you're writing. I don't think this is a fruitful
avenue.

There are three ways to change Haskell's lexical structure:

1. DIY on an open-source compiler/interpreter of your choice.
2. Write your own compiler/interpreter.
3. Get the change into Haskell''.

If the Haskell'' procedure is like the Haskell' procedure, you'll have
to do 1 or 2 before you do 3.

It's possible that you will convince someone that your syntax changes
are worth doing, and that this person will do step 1 or step 2 for
you, but I don't think so. I haven't done the research myself, but I
think if you look at the source control logs for Your Favorite Haskell
Compiler/interpreter and the HCAR, you will find very few
commits/projects devoted to syntax. I think this is because Haskellers
are much more interested in semantics.

Proposing changes that break existing code or segment the Haskell code
base just doesn't seem like a win.

Jim