[Haskell-cafe] Error building Edison 1.2.0.1

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Thu Oct 19 10:11:16 EDT 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Robert Dockins wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Gregory Wright wrote:

>>> I'm not doing anything unusual with the cabal scripts (that I'm
>>> aware of!), so I expect this is a cabal or GHC bug.
>>>
>>> BTW, could you run the test suite if you get a moment?  Every
>>> data point helps.
>>>

>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> OK, it looks like cabal has gone slightly broken again. :-(
>>

> Any idea what the problem is?  Or why other people aren't yelling
> about it?  Is it only the "register" command that is broken?

I don't know what the problem is yet.  It only affects the "register"
command, which I suspect is
lightly tested.

It may be moot, since I have discovered more infelicities when using
cabal and macports together.
Macports allows an applications tree to be uninstalled and
reinstalled.  Uninstallation is done
by removing the installed file; reinstallation is done by unpacking
them from a tarball.  The
problem here is that the Setup script is not preserved after the
initial build, so unregistering
and reregistering don't work.

The workaround will likely be to run the ghc-pkg commands directly,
rather than using
setup.  The cabal folks might want to think about saving setup
scripts somewhere, so that
"unregister" could be run even if the original build tree were deleted.

I could just unarchive the whole library or application and rebuild
the setup script, but that
doesn't seem very attractive either.

Best Wishes,
Greg