[Haskell-cafe] memory, garbage collection and other newbie's issues

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Oct 21 15:09:13 EDT 2006

Hallo!

Thanks a lot for stopping by.

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 06:41:32PM +0200, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> The correct solution however, is the application of 'seq' at the right
> places.  To understand where these are, perform a simulation of
> Haskell's reduction strategy on paper.

I will definitely try that.

> > 30 Mega used for reading a feed is a number that I seem to get.
>
> Depends on what you're doing with the data.  If you scan a stream of
> Chars exactly once, the space requirement per Char is next to
> irrelevant.  If you're keeping lots of Strings around, using
> PackedStrings will help (and be sure to pack strictly).  But I actually
> suspect, you are running a backtracking parser over your input, so the
> whole input is read into a String and cannot be disposed of as long as
> the parser might backtrack.  If this is Parsec, you need to remove a
> redundant 'try'.  If it is the Read class, you need to replace it by
> Parsec or ReadP...

No. I'm actually using the ReadDocument module of HXT for reading my
input and writeDocument for writing. So, it's parsec, on your
side...;-)

The application I'm writing is basically a HXT application, with an
hscurser gui.

If you have some hints on how to make memory consumption go down that
would be great.

Thanks for your kind attention.
Andrea