[Haskell-cafe] practice problems?

Jan-Willem Maessen jmaessen at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 3 10:33:44 EDT 2006

On Sep 3, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Brian Hulley wrote:

> Tamas K Papp wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 12:47:45PM +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>>> i also suggest you to start write some library. there is enough
>>> useful libs that are still bnot implemented because lack of time
>>> (and
>>> insterest in such simple code) on side of more experienced
>>> programmers. i once proposed you to write strings library, another
>>> interesting and useful thing will be gzip/bzip2-lib bindings
>>
>> Bulat,
>>
>> I would be happy to write a strings library, I just don't know
>> that it
>> is supposed to do... (I have no CS education, only math/economics).
>> If you show me the specifications or documentation in another
>> language, I would write one as practice.
>
> What about a library for interval arithmetic [1]?

I'll sign up to write this just as soon as I can control the floating-
point rounding mode in purely functional code with low overhead. :-)

Without this control, you end up with a toy which can't actually be
used for real work.  Sadly, I don't think GHC's built-in thread
scheduler plays nicely with floating-point mode changes unless you do
them across the entire program for the entire run.

The interval multiplication algorithm turns out to be exciting. :-)

-Jan-Willem Maessen