[Haskell-cafe] Re: sections of noncommutative operators

Michael Shulman viritrilbia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 14:19:07 EDT 2006

No, lisp doesn't have currying, but of course I knew that Haskell
does.  I think my thought processes went something like this: I want
to partially apply "<", but < is an infix operator in Haskell, so
first I have to convert it to the function (<) written with prefix
notation and then partially apply it.  That led me to ((<) 0), and
then I mistyped (< 0), probably since in lisp < is already a function
written with prefix notation.  I guess to someone not coming from
lisp, (< 0) means "less than zero" and not "the function < with 0
passed as its first argument".  I guess I'm just unlucky enough to get
confused by something that other people find straightforward.  (-:

On 09 Sep 2006 11:17:52 +0100, Jón Fairbairn <jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Right about the start of the design of Haskell, I proposed
> the rule "parentheses should only be used for grouping".

I think I would have liked that rule.  Are parentheses currently used
for anything else besides grouping and sections?

Mike