[Haskell-cafe] Retainer Profiling

Mark Goldman bitshifter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 21:27:50 EDT 2006

Ok, so I've done a biographical profile and gotten what (I think) are
the top offenders in creating objects that never get used.  (+RTS -hc
-hbvoid)  The GHC user's guide suggests that the next step is retainer
profiling to see why things are being retained instead of trashed.

Is anyone out there able to explain retainer profiling in more detail
than the GHC user's guide because I've been guessing on both what I've
been seeing and what it all means.  Any response would be appreciated.

-mdg

--
Our problems are mostly behind us, now all we have to do is fight the solutions.