[Haskell-cafe] Mathematics in Haskell Re: Why the Prelude must die

Andrzej Jaworski himself at poczta.nom.pl
Mon Apr 2 18:24:39 EDT 2007

> I too was put off by the Num issues though--strange mixture of sophisticated
> category theory and lack of a sensible hierarchy of algebraic objects.

Perhaps we should replace CT with lattice theoretic thinking (e.g. functor = monotonic
function) before cleaning up the type-related mess?
See: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/269479.html

> so count me in on an effort to make Haskell more mathematical.  For me that
> probably starts with the semigroup/group/ring setup, and good
> arbitrary-precision as well as approximate linear algebra support.

I agree: semigoups like lattices are everywhere.
Then there could be a uniform treatment of linear algebra, polynomial equations, operator
algebra, etc. So, perhaps haste is not a good advice here?

-Andrzej