[Haskell-cafe] Re: What I learned from my first serious attempt low-level Haskell programming

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Wed Apr 11 02:58:41 EDT 2007

OK, so there are few extra costs for unknown tail calls.
First, there might be a pipeline stall if the jump address isn't
loaded into a register far enough in advance before the jump.
Second, you need to pass information about the number of arguments in
the caller.
And finally, you need to test the number of arguments in the callee.

Under the best of circumstances the argument check costs a load
immediate, a compare, and a non-taken branch.  But looking at the
output from ghc I doubt this is the case.

	-- Lennart